1 slice day-old whole-grain peasant bread
2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 small yellow squash, cut into 2-inch julienne
1 small zucchini,cut into 2-inch julienne
1 cup shredded carrots
1 small red bell pepper,cut into julienne
1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound whole-wheat (whole-meal) spaghetti
- In a blender or food processor, process the bread to make fine crumbs.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and saute until lightly golden, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and cook until lightly browned and crunchy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the walnuts, parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the yellow squash, zucchini and carrot and saute until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the bell peppers to the pan and saute until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Return the squash mixture to the pan and toss to mix. Set aside and keep warm.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes or according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
- In a warmed shallow serving bowl, combine the spaghetti, vegetables and bread crumb mixture. Toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.
Each serving contains:
Calories 353, Monounsaturated fat 7 g, Protein 11 g, Cholesterol 0 mg
Carbohydrate 56 g, Sodium 661 mg, Total fat 12 g, Fiber 11 g, Saturated fat 2 g
Each serving counts as 3 whole grain, 2 vegetables, 1 high protein, 1 fats and oils