Roasted Mediterranean Vegtables
Vegetables don't have to be boiled and boring . . . Try these simple roasted vegetables tonight for dinner or make it in advance and portion it into containers of individual servings to have ready for lunch or a snack. It works well for a busy weeknight if you cut up the vegetables in advance, store in a container or bag and then just sprinkle with olive oil and put in the oven to cook themselves . . .
2-3 peppers of different colors
2 small or 1 large summer squash
2 small or 1 large zucchini
2 small or 1 large fennel bulb
or use a total of 8 cups of chunked summer vegetables
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ c chopped fresh parsley, basil or 2-3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Clean and remove seeds and white membrane from peppers. Cut into large chunks (approximately 1-1/2 to 2inches) and add to a large roasting pan
- Cut summer squash and zucchini into halves lengthwise. If they are large, cut them again into quarters lengthwise. Cut these into 1-1/2 inch chunks and add to the pan
- Cut the dark green tops off the fennel; cut in 4 wedges and remove core; cut each quarter into chunks the size of the other vegetables
- Drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and roast for 15 minutes. They should be starting to brown. With a spatula, turn the vegetables over and roast for another 15 minutes or when well-carmelized
- Toss with parsley, basil or balsamic vinegar
Makes 4 cups of cooked vegetables (from 8 cups of raw vegetables). Each cup counts as 2 vegetable servings and 1 fat serving.